Monday, March 13, 2006

random argument

The strangest thing happened at lunch today. I got busy doing other things and didn't actually make it to lunch until 2:30 this afternoon, which was fine by me because that meant most of the places wouldn't be as busy as they are at my normal lunchtime. I went to Subway because it was close and also empty. I gave my order to the first lady behind the counter, a six inch Cheese Steak on Italian Herbs, and she proceeded to place my sandwich in the oven. She then turned around and said to me, "Yes?" I was taken aback. What does she want now? I wondered. "What?" was my clever response. I was really on my game today. "What would you like?" was her response. It was like a slap in the face. "You just took my order," I told her. This statement must have shook the foundation of her existence, because she stared at me for quite some time. After a long period in which I could almost hear the gears in her head grinding, she asked, "What would you like?" Luckily for the both of us, another employee who had been listening in on our conversation said, "I got it." He pulled my sandwich from the oven and gave me a look that said, "It's ok, she's crazy." I suppose it is only Subway, but how do people like this get jobs?

Common sense, not to mention general customer service, has gone the way of the dodo, T-Rex, and chivalry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really funny, roll with the punches, you should've had some fun with it.

Anonymous said...

It would have been really funny if you just kept ordering sandwiches, but only bought the first one. However, it might only have been funny if someone else was there to witness this.

Anonymous said...

dude, she is obviously a "pro" and was soliciting you...