Wednesday, March 29, 2006

death by b12

Today, I saw a guy drinking an XS Energy Drink. I remember my friend Steve used to be really into these, not sure why. Although they did taste quite good, I was always a little scared when I looked at the nutritional information on the side. Here's what I mean:



If you can't read this, click on the picture to get a full view. Now skip down to the part of the label where the Vitamin B12 is located. Look at the % Daily Value. Holy crap! 4900%!! The Vegetarian Society claims, "B12 has very low toxicity and high intakes are not thought to be dangerous."

That's good to hear. At least no one's going to die from this stuff anytime soon. Or will they...

An excerpt from "Nutrition for Vegetarians" by Drs. Agatha and Calvin Trash reads "In animals studies, there have been cases of increased cancer production in animals receiving high levels of B-12. It has been noted that the animals have an increased production of white blood cells such as occurs in chronic myelogenous leukemia. A case has been reported of acute myeloblastic leukemia resulting from B-12 overdose in the treatment of pernicious anemia."

CANCER!?!?

This is where my research stops and I start making wild generalizations. My theory is that XS is made by the same people who made (or still make) Tab. Cancer terrorists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you only get your research information from Vegetarian websites??? Are vegetarians the only ones who care what they eat?

Matt said...

No, they're just the first sites that came up in my Google searches.

Anonymous said...

Haven't scientist provent that anything given to mice in huge quantities will cause caner?

Like given them 1000 times their body weight of Yellow 5 will do one of the following a) kill them, b) give them cancer (which will kill them), or c) will shrink their testicles (causing them depression which might lead to suicide)...

also aren't B-12s some kind of military bomber plane?