Monday, March 27, 2006

everyday life should have musical interludes

I finally made it up to Baltimore this weekend to hang out with Justin. I had a great time.

On may way there after work, he called to tell me that I should still come, even though his apartment was flooding. Apparently a pipe somewhere started leaking and spread through his bedroom, hallway, and part of the living room. I was able to make it to his apartment from Virginia before the maintenance crew, who couldn't have been that far away, got there. They removed a large section of the carpet pad from his bedroom and left giant, noisy, industrial fans to dry the place out. Justin asked one of the guys, "So will I be sans carpet for a few days?" Justin then had to explain what sans meant and the guy did his best to use it in a sentence. "With sans carpet." Close enough, buddy. Meanwhile, I'm in the corner laughing and the guy comments, "He's trippin'." Luckily, all of Justin's stuff was unharmed by the water.

On Saturday we went on a tour of Clipper City Brewing Company. The tour was great. The head-brewer was really funny and interesting and entertaining, not to mention helpful with questions and just generally friendly and nice. We got to eat some malt, which is essentially just roasted barley. They even had four taps available for free samples before and after the tour. Justin took a couple pictures with my camera. If any of them look cool I'll post them here in the near future.

We also saw a matinee showing of V for Vendetta. Very cool. I recommend it highly. Not as action-packed as I had expected, but that was certainly not a bad thing. The movie kept me interested the entire time, wanting to know what was coming next while trying to decide if I agreed with the tactics "V" employed. I would love to learn more about the possible future painted in this film. For example, the movie made multiple references to "the former United States." Why "former?" And how did this occur?

While we were driving around talking about malls in the area, Justin mentioned that malls never really have many stores for men. I agreed. Justin's idea, was to capture this huge demographic by creating a store for men called Fuckin' Kill Shit. I know what you're thinking, because I had the same reaction: "I don't know what they sell, but I'm gonna shop there." Just picture an indoor skeet range with cute, fluffy baby bunnies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was supposed to be "Fuck 'n' Kill Shit" with prostitutes and fluffy bunnies....must have been informed incorrectly, I guess.

Matt said...

Possibly, but I didn't want to be that crude on a blog my parents occasionally read...