Wednesday, August 23, 2006

hemorrhaging money

I've made a couple large purchases in the past couple of days, something I very rarely do. Neither of them were planned.

A few days ago, my computer monitor died on me. It was a 19" flat screen CRT from KDS. I wasn't too upset because I had purchased it with a pretty good rebate a few years ago. I spent around $80 on it. Luckily, I had a 17" that I was able to use as my backup, but after using a 19" flat screen for so long, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't going to cut it for long. I needed something better.

After much debating, I eventually decided to go a little overboard and buy something unnecessarily large. I purchased a Dell LCD 20.1" Ultrasharp Widescreen and it is every bit as beautiful as it sounds and for 20% off the normal price it was easily worth it (it even has Picture-in-Picture, which I find absurd).

Today I purchased a pair of items that were also expensive and won't even last me as long as the monitor. I had decided months ago to go to the Lions' Thanksgiving Day game with my dad and knew that I could get tickets from Ticketmaster when they went on sale today. I should have been able to, but I screwed it up and lost the tickets. Determined to go, I bought a couple of tickets off Stubhub instead (which is a great site because you can get tickets to anything, just expect to pay a little more). The tickets cost more than I had expected since I wasn't able to get them at face value, but instead of sitting in the upper bowl, my dad and I will now be sitting in the lower bowl, row 14, at the back of the endzone. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What does it feel like to hemorrhage money? What orifice does it come out of? These are the things I ponder that keep me out of the really good colleges.