Friday, April 14, 2006

people watching

As I am sure you are aware, it can often be interesting and entertaining to observe people and their behavior. For example, on the metro yesterday I watched a woman who changed seats every time the metro stopped. She never sat in the same place twice and didn't seem to care if she was sitting next to someone or not. She did this for five or six stops, until she finally exited the train.

What was going through her mind as she moved from seat to seat? Was there some sort of purpose or pattern that I could not detect? Am I giving too much thought to the odd behavior of a crazy person?

To me, the most bizarre behavior on the metro is the lack of any conversation. The tourists are always easy to spot because they are the only ones talking (and usually about what stop they are getting off at and their general confusion with the metro system). In my two months of metro travels, I've managed only two genuine conversations: one with a guy wearing a Lions jersey and the other with a girl talking about hockey.

Possible conclusion: the only subject I'm comfortable talking to strangers about is sports.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, people watching is fun, and that woman is/was quite strange.

So, if you've only had a few conversations on the metro, do you ever talk to other passengers on airplanes? I feel its almost the same situation, where most people don't talk unless they are travelling with someone they know.

Matt said...

That's a very good point and one I hadn't considered. I guess it's not as predominant in my mind because I ride the metro every day, I only fly a couple times a year.

I do try to strike up conversations when flying. I usually have good success while still in the terminal waiting to board the aircraft, less success if I try after entering the plane.

Anonymous said...

But on a plane, you're stuck in that seat for hours...much different than the metro. Much more uncomfortable to my way of thinking.

Also, it's interesting how your entry parallels the writing style of Slate's Human Nature column (http://www.slate.com/id/2139593/ ) Sorry, no HTML skilz.

Matt - how long did you stay at Billy's last Friday?

Matt said...

Agreed, on a plane you are forced to sit next to a person for the flight's duration (although you can always pretend to sleep).

That is interesting, espeically since I never read the Slate.

We didn't stay at Billy's long after you left, just until the end of the first set.